Sunday, January 8, 2017

My Carrie Bradshaw Moment- Recap of First Semester, and Ending 2016

Hey guys! As 2016 comes to a close, and we begin 2017, I want to do a little recap on the most eventful part of 2016: my first semester at The Fashion Institute of Technology.

I come from a small, suburban Long Island town. Even though I'm close to the city, it definitely was a huge change for me to finally live in manhattan. The first night I slept in my dorm, I woke up, walked outside, and felt unlike I ever have before. For the first time I felt like I was a part of something greater.

Then I had my Carrie Bradshaw Moment.


It happened when I was shooting street style pics for Fall New York Fashion Week. I was posing in front of Moynihan Station, and my friend Will was taking pictures. Suddenly every other photographer started taking my picture. I was posing and smiling, and shamelessly blushing for the camera. In that moment, I was Carrie Bradshaw.


I wanted to experience every bit of New York City that I could. It was pure bliss and hard work up until around midterms. I burned out a lot of my energy on tests, projects, my boyfriend, and friends.  I challenged my style of photography, questioned my major. I had wine-nights-in, and went to clubs where I even got to see my friend hook up with Jake Miller. I finally got to hear those last three words Amy Sherman Palladino has been hinting towards in the Gilmore Girls Revival Season.  I spent a lunch with my mom crying because I suddenly realized I did not know one recipe to cook on my stove. I discovered HaloTop ice cream has a lot of protein, but not enough to consist of a sound dinner.

In other words: it was the best of times and it was the worst of times.

I realized that yes, I can do it all. But maybe not all in one semester. I slowed my pace down. I did my work, got more sleep, and really listened to photographers who spoke to my classes. They inspired me to keep going, even when it felt like I was at a standstill.

In addition to my photography jobs, modeling opportunities came to me, and I gladly took them. I walked in Lily Ray Designs' jewelry fashion show for the Fitness Youtuber's Retreat at Workville. I walked in Sarah Lauren Designs' show for the RAW Artists Brooklyn event. 

In terms of love and personal success, 2016 has been pretty eventful. I have grown so much in these 6 months, and have met so many wonderful and influential people. I can't even imagine what 2017 has in store for us...

XX
Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment